Pages

 photo img_03.jpg  photo img_04.jpg  photo img_06.jpg  photo img_05.jpg  photo img_07.jpg

"A gourmet who thinks of calories is like a tart who looks at her watch." - James Beard


AOL Ad

Friday, August 7, 2015

CSA - Summer Vegetables Abound


It's too hot. We are not the biggest fans of summer around here. We prefer it when the weather's cooler. 

But one of the things I look forward to every summer is my weekly CSA box.  



CSA stands for Community Supported Agriculture. Farmers essentially sell shares in their crops in advance, then deliver the shares to customers weekly throughout the growing season.  


Our CSA runs for 20 weeks from May to October.  We pay $400 up front for a small share, which works out to $20 per week for a box of fresh vegetables.  There is also a large share for $30 per week, for larger families. 



Our particular CSA comes from an organic farm in Aylmer, Ontario, via On the Move Organics. We pick it up from a central location every Thursday. 



Part of the fun/risk of a CSA share is that you never know in advance what you're going to get.  It's a mystery treat every week!  You can often guess based on the season - in spring we got a ton of asparagus and rhubarb.  Now we're getting more zucchini and tomatoes. In the fall it will be squash and beets. 



I love opening the box each week to see what we'll be eating.  Sometimes we get a little tired of certain things.  We get a lot of kale.  I would probably not eat a huge bunch of kale every single week if I was choosing it myself, but I try to use it up in pasta and smoothies.  Last year we had a lot of beets and it took some time to get through them all. But normally it's a nice balance of different veggies that feed us all week.  Much as I love farmer's markets, I barely need to go any more, except for some fruit and extra corn on the cob. 



I've been posting photos of my weekly haul on Instragram each week, so feel free to follow me there if you're interested!

No comments:

Post a Comment