Pages

 photo img_03.jpg  photo img_04.jpg  photo img_06.jpg  photo img_05.jpg  photo img_07.jpg

"A gourmet who thinks of calories is like a tart who looks at her watch." - James Beard


AOL Ad

Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Happy Hour - Brooklyn Cocktail


I'm very interested in craft cocktails lately.  Ever since we went on our Southern USA road trip in the spring, I've been more interested in bourbon.  


The Brooklyn cocktail is usually made with rye but I used bourbon.  Here's what you need for one cocktail:


2 ounces bourbon (or rye)
1 ounce dry vermouth
1/4 ounce maraschino liqueur 
a few dashes Angostura bitters


Mix all ingredients together over ice in a cocktail shaker, strain into a cocktail glass and enjoy!


Maraschino liqueur has been turning up in many of the recipes I see for craft and classic cocktails.  My local liquor store didn't carry it but a well-stocked liquor store should have it.  I bought Luxardo, the most famous brand.  I was expecting it to be sweet like maraschino cherries, but it has a more bitter flavour.  Angostura bitters are available in grocery stores.  


This is a boozy cocktail (of course, all the ingredients are alcoholic!), but it is a warming treat now that cooler weather is coming.  It's a nice alternative to a Manhattan.  Cheers!  

No comments:

Post a Comment