Pages

 photo img_03.jpg  photo img_04.jpg  photo img_06.jpg  photo img_05.jpg  photo img_07.jpg

"A gourmet who thinks of calories is like a tart who looks at her watch." - James Beard


AOL Ad

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

3 Peppercorn Braised Short Ribs


Summer Fresh sent me some of their new fresh sauces to try.  There are several different sauces that can be used to cook or top meat or vegetables.  Here's my first attempt at creating a recipe for the sauces.  


When I thought about 3 Peppercorn sauce the first thing I thought of was beef and then I decided to braise some short ribs.  


Short ribs are generally pretty inexpensive but they pack a lot of flavour.  I cut the short ribs into sections.


I sprinkled them with salt and pepper and browned them in hot oil in a large enamelled cast iron pot.


Once browned on all sides, I removed the beef from the pot and put it aside.


I peeled and diced up an onion, carrot and parsnip and added them to the pot.


I sautéed them for about 5 minutes until softened. 


Then I added about a cup of red wine and stirred to scrape the brown bits off the bottom of the pot while bringing it to a boil. 


I added the whole container of 3 Peppercorn sauce.


Then brought it to a simmer, put the lid on it and popped it into a 350 degree oven for about 2 hours until the meat was tender and falling off the bone. Check it after about an hour and add some more liquid (wine or water) if it is getting dry.


Here it is after 2 hours.  


There's some fat on top so I skimmed it off with a spoon.


Then I served it with mashed potatoes and celeriac.


I also served some roasted Brussels sprouts I popped in the oven for 30 minutes while the short ribs braised.

This was a nice, rich dish and the whole peppercorns in the sauce gave it an authentic flavour and texture.  

No comments:

Post a Comment