Pages

 photo img_03.jpg  photo img_04.jpg  photo img_06.jpg  photo img_05.jpg  photo img_07.jpg

"A gourmet who thinks of calories is like a tart who looks at her watch." - James Beard


AOL Ad

Friday, March 2, 2012

Turkey Pot Pie

As I've grown up my tastes have matured somewhat. Many things I hated as a child, I now tolerate or even like. I don't think I'll ever eat raw tomatoes or red bell peppers, but I've started to give mushrooms a chance.

One of the grossest foods of my childhood were hot lunch meat pies. I believe you can still buy these atrocities frozen. Greasy pastry filled with fatty beef and brown gravy, generally served mushy and smelling like vomit. I refused to eat them and it turned me off any type of savory pie for a good long time.

I never much cared for gravy or pie crust but I think I was eating the wrong ones. Now that I can make gravy myself, I make sure it is flavourful, not floury.  So I thought I'd give pot pies a try with all my leftover turkey.


I chopped onions, carrots and celery and sauteed them in some oil for a few minutes.


I added mushrooms...


... and cooked them down for a few minutes.


Then I sprinkled the vegetables with flour and cooked for a few more minutes before adding turkey stock.


Let the stock bubble until it thickens.


Chop the leftover cooked turkey.


And add to the gravy mixture along with some frozen peas and corn and just warm through.


Instead of making my own pie crust (which I've never done! Future project alert!), I purchased this great all butter puff pastry to top my pies.


I defrosted a sheet in the refrigerator overnight and rolled it out a little thinner.


I put the turkey filling into single serving casserole dishes.  You could use ramekins, french onion soup bowls or whatever you have that's oven safe.


Top the casseroles with the puff pastry, dabbing egg wash around the edges. 


Cut slits in the top of the pastry to allow steam to escape and brush the top with egg wash as well.  I actually found it easier to cut the slits before placing the pastry on the pie.  


Bake at 350 for about 15 or 20 minutes until the pastry is golden brown and the filling is hot and bubbling.

Delicious use for leftovers!

No comments:

Post a Comment