Pages

 photo img_03.jpg  photo img_04.jpg  photo img_06.jpg  photo img_05.jpg  photo img_07.jpg

"A gourmet who thinks of calories is like a tart who looks at her watch." - James Beard


AOL Ad

Monday, January 30, 2012

Chicken with Squash & Kale

Aside from a few slip-ups we're still eating healthy and enjoying it. Unfortunately it hasn't given me energy to post more often, but many of our meals have been really enjoyable.

Kale is one of the healthiest things you can put in your body. It is rich in vitamins, fibre and even protein.  I based this meal on this recipe from Real Simple but made a few changes - not all of them on purpose.

Here's the lineup:

I sprinkled the chicken with cinnamon, coriander and ground ginger but wanted a little more flavour so I added garlic, paprika, cayenne and some olive oil and let it marinate over night. 


Normally we grill drumsticks but I used a rack to bake them in the oven and was pleased with how crispy and nice they turned out.


Kind of a gross subject (raw chicken) but I like this photo.


I also love the colour of this squash.  I sliced acorn squash and roasted it in a 400 degree oven with the chicken for about 20 minutes. 


Now, this recipe called for prunes and I intended to buy prunes but I guess I was so concerned with not buying figs that I grabbed dates instead. I liked them and they tasted good in the dish, but they were very dry. I'll try it with prunes next time.


I chopped the dates in half and saute them with garlic and the kale.  


Once the squash is nice and brown pull it out of the oven and mix it in with the kale and dates.


Pull the nice, crispy chicken out of the oven when it is cooked through.


The chicken was flavourful and juicy and the sweet dates and squash tasted delicious with the healthy kale.


This dish is very healthy and delicious and a great indoor winter meal.  


Cooking lessons learned:
  • Dates and prunes are not the same thing but can sort of be substituted with interesting results
  • Kale tastes great with something sweet to balance it out
Photography lessons learned:
  • Chicken drumsticks are surprisingly photogenic
  • Not as surprising, but the colour contrast of acorn squash is pretty too
  • Dates, however, look like huge bugs when chopped in half 

No comments:

Post a Comment